If you’re a Facebook marketer looking to maximise the performance of your budget, it’s important to understand the platform inside and out.
Staying up to date with the latest facts, figures, and insights is a great way to unlock the full potential of the Facebook network and identify exciting opportunities for your business.
But if you haven’t managed to do your homework yet, don’t panic.
We’ve got you covered.
We’ve scoured the internet for 101 must-know Facebook statistics that will equip you with the knowledge you need to smash your objectives. So pour yourself a coffee and get comfortable, because we’re about to dive into some seriously in-depth Facebook stats for marketers.
General Facebook Statistics
1. Facebook has 2.93 billion monthly active users.
Facebook offers marketers colossal reach, allowing them to rapidly build brand awareness and generate conversions at scale.
2. Facebook is still the most-used advertising network, utilised by 93% of marketers.
The Facebook network remains hugely popular among global advertisers, despite fierce competition from other marketing platforms.
3. 70% of the internet population uses at least one Meta platform.
The scale and influence of Meta is mind-blowing, enabling Facebook marketers to reach a massive global audience.
4. Around 1bn Facebook Stories are shared every day.
Millions of users are actively sharing Facebook content, meaning if your posts gain momentum, they can achieve huge organic reach.
5. Facebook is the third most visited website on the planet.
Facebook isn’t just an effective marketing platform. It’s also a global destination for internet users and a cultural phenomenon.
6. There are more than 10m groups active on Facebook.
Facebook is an established advertising network, but it’s also a platform for millions of online communities. If you want to connect with a specific audience, Facebook is the place to be.
7. 85% of smartphone users have downloaded the Facebook app.
Facebook users are often checking the app on their phones, meaning you can easily reach your target audience and connect with customers on the move
Facebook User Statistics
8. There are more than 1 billion daily active users on Facebook.
The Facebook user base is incredibly active, meaning advertisers have constant access to hot prospects and potential buyers.
9. More than 72% of the Facebook audience also uses Instagram, WhatsApp, and YouTube.
Although Facebook provides marketers with jaw-dropping reach, the value of a multi-channel strategy should never be overlooked.
10. 37% of the world’s population is on Facebook.
If you want to reach a large customer audience, it doesn’t get much better than Facebook.
11. 67% of monthly Facebook users are also active on a daily basis.
Chances are, your target audience is active on Facebook every day, giving you a golden opportunity to build reach and frequency.
12. There are 3bn total active Facebook users around the world.
The sheer size and scale of the Facebook audience can be difficult to comprehend.
13. Facebook is the preferred social platform for the 35-44 age group.
Although social media platforms like TikTok may be insanely popular among younger audiences, Facebook is still a stronghold for many older users.
14. There are more than 35m active Facebook users in the UK.
For UK advertisers, Facebook is the ideal network for accelerating brand growth and generating sales.
Facebook Demographics Statistics
15. 57% of the Facebook audience is male.
Although the global Facebook audience is skewed slightly towards males, the user base is fairly balanced across key demographics.
16. 87% of Millennials are active on Facebook.
Facebook is extremely popular among Millennials, so if you’re looking to reach this demographic, the platform is an invaluable tool.
17. 84% of Baby Boomers are active on Facebook.
Facebook also offers extensive reach among older audience segments, which is highly useful for certain advertisers.
18. 31% of monthly Facebook users are Gen Z.
Brands can achieve a solid reach among Gen Z users on Facebook, but if you want to connect with younger audiences at scale, a multi-channel strategy is best.
19. 31% of the Facebook user base is aged 25-34, and 41% are over the age of 35.
While many brands might assume that social media marketing is best for reaching youth audiences, Facebook provides advertisers with access to millions of older users.
20. 70% of individuals earning $75k+ a year are active on Facebook.
For businesses aiming to reach and convert high-income audiences, Facebook is a powerful marketing tool.
Facebook Usage Statistics
21. 98% of Facebook users access the platform through a mobile phone.
The vast majority of Facebook users sign in to the app through their mobile, so you need to tailor your creative assets accordingly.
22. 8bn people use Facebook groups every month.
Facebook marketing is a brilliant way for brands to connect and align themselves with specific digital communities.
23. Facebook is the third most downloaded app in the world.
Although the Facebook we know has been around since 2006, the platform is still immensely popular around the globe.
24. Average Facebook users spend 33 minutes on the app every day.
Facebook users are constantly scrolling their feeds and exploring new posts, giving you crucial time to engage your target audience.
25. 70% of Facebook users open the platform every single day.
The majority of Facebook users are active and available every day – you just need to find the right way to connect with them.
26. More than 66% of adult users consume news content through Facebook.
Facebook isn’t just a platform for socialising. It’s also an important outlet for news and cultural events.
27. 56% of Facebook users visit the platform for information.
People rely on Facebook for information – if you can deliver quality content, you can establish yourself as a reliable and credible brand.
28. 49% of Facebook users check the platform several times a day.
Facebook advertisers have a valuable opportunity to communicate with prospects at multiple points throughout the day.
Facebook Engagement Statistics
29. 54% of content viewed on Facebook comes from friends and pages/people followed.
If you want to maximise the scale of your brand communications, you need to ensure that you’re driving incremental reach through a solid follower audience.
30. 57% of advertisers feel that Facebook Stories effectively promote their products.
Facebook Stories can drive sky-high levels of engagement for digital marketers.
31. 86.5% of Facebook content contains no external links.
The Facebook algorithm tends to reward content that keeps users on the platform, so take full advantage of image and video assets.
32. Link posts deliver 73% less engagement than video posts.
Clicking out to an external page can feel like a hassle for Facebook users, which is why in-app video content often drives strong levels of engagement.
33. 85% of Facebook videos are watched on mute.
Facebook is an exceptional platform for video advertising, but you need to adjust your assets (i.e. adding subtitles) to reflect user behaviours.
34. The average engagement rate for a Facebook page post is 0.07%.
However, engagement rates vary wildly across different formats, so always diversify your content to identify the best-performing placements.
Facebook Marketing & Advertising Statistics
35. Facebook ads have the potential to reach 34% of the global population.
The Facebook social network is unparalleled when it comes to delivering mass reach for advertisers.
36. Facebook accounts for over 25% of digital advertising investment, falling just behind Google at 28.9%.
Facebook is a global marketing giant, and the platform is constantly releasing new tools and features to support advertisers.
37. In 2020, there were 10m+ active advertisers on Facebook.
The Facebook network is superb for digital advertisers, but it’s also highly competitive – if you want to succeed, you’ll need a data-driven marketing strategy.
38. The average user clicks on 12 Facebook ads every month.
Clicks are a precious commodity for Facebook advertisers, so you need to make sure that you’re maintaining an efficient and profitable conversion rate.
39. 18-24 adults spend 75% of their time on Facebook watching video ads.
This is a significant amount of time spent consuming video content, so make sure that you’re building engaging and eye-catching assets to take full advantage.
40. Facebook’s potential marketing reach is 2 billion users.
If you’re looking to grow your brand and connect with a huge advertising audience, then Facebook provides you with the perfect opportunity.
41. The average price per ad dropped by 18% in Q3 2022.
Facebook ad prices recently decreased due to external factors (i.e. iOS privacy updates) – if you react quickly to these price changes, you can launch super cost-effective campaigns.
42. For the 5 days between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday, the CPM on Facebook decreased by 37% year-on-year.
Ad costs on Facebook tend to fluctuate regularly. By keeping a close eye on your campaign data, you can capitalise on these price dips.
43. Facebook accounts for 71.64% of all traffic referred from social media networks.
If you want to drive high volumes of quality social traffic to your website, Facebook is your new best friend.
44. 78% of US consumers have discovered a new product on Facebook.
Facebook users are open to finding new products and services on the platform. That’s your cue to deliver some highly persuasive and creative marketing.
45. Facebook video ads have a low CPC, averaging around $1.86.
Facebook enables brands to generate cheap clicks, which is critical for driving cost-efficient conversions.
Facebook Influencer Statistics
46. 35% of marketers claim to have launched successful influencer campaigns on Facebook.
Influencer marketing can be incredibly powerful on social channels, and Facebook offers the perfect environment for influencer campaigns.
47. Influencer video content accounts for around 60% of Facebook video views in the United States.
Influencer content is ridiculously popular on social platforms, often racking up enormous view counts and engagements.
48. 79% of marketers view Facebook as the most important influencer network.
Although many social platforms facilitate influencer campaigns, the sheer scale of Facebook makes it a prime candidate for influencer marketing.
49. Nano-influencers charge approximately $31 for a Facebook post.
Working with multiple nano-influencers is a smart way to build reach without breaking the bank.
50. Micro-influencers charge approximately $318 for a Facebook post.
Micro-influencer campaigns can help you to reach a sizable new audience without spending an eye-watering amount of budget.
51. Celebrity influencers charge approximately $2,400 for a Facebook post.
Celebrity campaigns can be useful for global corporations, but unless you have access to a bottomless budget pot, they’re probably a little too pricey.
Facebook Revenue & Growth Statistics
52. Facebook ad revenue is expected to increase to $75.11bn in 2024.
Facebook generates a mind-blowing amount of revenue through advertising channels, which is why the platform recognises the value of successful marketing campaigns.
53. Facebook’s ad revenue increased by 56% in 2021.
Facebook has existed for nearly 2 decades, but the platform is still going strong and attracting significant advertiser investment.
54. Over 160m businesses utilise Facebook to interact with customers.
Businesses aren’t just using Facebook to launch ad campaigns. They’re also using it to offer responsive communication and customer support.
55. Facebook achieved an annual growth rate of 57% in 2020.
Despite the emergence of multiple competitors, Facebook has continued to drive consistent business growth.
56. Facebook employs around 58,604 employees.
The Facebook operation is huge and requires a vast number of specialist employees with specific skill sets.
57. The global revenue for Facebook (Meta) in 2022 was $118.1bn.
This exceeded the revenue generated in 2021, which amounted to $117.9bn.
58. Facebook has offices in 39 cities across the globe.
Facebook maintains a strong presence around the world, which explains the expansive global reach of the network.
Facebook For Business Statistics
59. Approximately 87.1% of US marketers use Facebook.
Your competitors are almost certainly active on Facebook, which is why it’s crucial to establish your own brand presence.
60. 93% of businesses are active on Facebook.
Maintaining an active and engaging Facebook presence is a vital part of running a modern business.
61. 36% of businesses post video content on Facebook every month.
If you want to attract new customers and build a loyal following on Facebook, then you’ll need to publish high-quality video content.
62. The average Facebook page posts around 1.68 times every day.
For brands struggling to stay consistent with Facebook posting, a detailed content calendar can be a game-changer.
63. 1bn users message a business on a Meta platform every single week.
Using Facebook to communicate with your customers at scale is a good way to strengthen your brand reputation and secure long-term business.
64. Consumers are 53% more likely to buy from a brand they can message.
Modern consumers expect businesses to be available and accessible through a social media platform like Facebook.
65. 54.9% of Facebook users follow (or research) businesses and products on the platform.
You should treat your Facebook profile like a shop window, using the platform to showcase your products and attract new customers.
66. 49% of Facebook users will like a business page to support the brand.
If you spend time communicating and engaging with your Facebook audience, they’ll be infinitely more likely to support your business on the platform.
67. 40% of Facebook marketers use a ‘click-to-message’ ad format.
Facebook ad campaigns don’t need to be one-way traffic. You can actively encourage prospects to message your brand, which is an excellent way to drive clicks and conversions.
68. The average retail business will see 974k monthly impressions on its Facebook page.
You should treat your Facebook page as a social media business hub. Make sure that you’re constantly posting fresh content, engaging followers, and attracting new customers.
Facebook Shopping Stats
69. There are over 250m shops on the Facebook Marketplace worldwide.
If you’re an e-commerce brand looking to boost sales, then setting up a Facebook Marketplace store is a no-brainer.
70. 37% of Facebook users will complete a purchase on the platform in 2023.
Facebook audiences aren’t just browsing new products on the platform – they’re also buying them, which is great news for e-commerce brands.
71. 19% of US consumers begin their online shopping search on Facebook.
With a strong presence on the Facebook Marketplace, you can connect with potential customers actively researching new products and services.
72. 44% of Facebook users admit that the platform influences their purchase decisions.
Facebook plays a pivotal role in many customer journeys, so you need to ensure that you’re reaching the right prospects with your product messaging.
73. Facebook retail pages see an average audience growth rate of 0.52% every month.
Establishing an active business presence on Facebook will help you to nurture and develop your customer base.
Facebook Video Statistics
74. 12% of businesses use Facebook to host live videos.
If you’re keen to open up effective channels for audience communication, live video is a good way to reach your followers.
75. 60% of social video viewers consume short-form content on Facebook.
Short-form videos can deliver sky-high levels of engagement on social media networks, and Facebook is no exception.
76. 81% of businesses prefer to run video campaigns on Facebook.
Facebook audiences are actively engaged with fresh video content, meaning the platform is perfect for strategic video marketing.
77. Facebook in-feed video is the most popular type of video content on the platform.
Running in-feed videos on Facebook enables you to build significant reach and brand visibility among your target audience.
78. Over 140bn Reels are played every day across the Facebook network.
Facebook Reels have exploded in popularity, and now is the time to capitalise on this snappy short-form video format.
79. Videos up to 2 minutes long generate the most engagement from Facebook users.
Facebook audiences tend to engage most with shorter video posts, so aim to create assets that are punchy and concise.
80. Facebook is the second most popular video platform behind Google/YouTube.
Facebook video campaigns reach a colossal global audience. With the right creative assets, you can leverage the platform to skyrocket your business growth.
81. A new Facebook AI model has led to a 15% increase in Reels watch time.
The Reels video format is becoming increasingly effective for advertisers, so if you haven’t already taken advantage of this placement, there’s never been a better time.
82. 62% of people have claimed to be more interested in a product after seeing it in a Facebook video.
Facebook video is a great way to build your brand identity, but it can also help you to reach hot prospects and drive cost-efficient conversions.
83. Facebook users are 1.5x more likely to watch a video on their mobile devices.
Whenever you’re producing new Facebook video assets, think carefully about where (and how) your audience will be viewing them.
84. In 2018, it was reported that 18-24 Facebook users had a 75% shorter attention span for video than users aged 65+.
Younger audiences generally struggle with a short attention span, so make sure that your video assets are short, snappy, and memorable.
85. 12bn users visit Facebook Watch every month.
Facebook has continued to solidify itself as a market leader for video content, evidenced by the popularity of the Facebook Watch platform.
86. 18% of all videos published on Facebook are uploaded by pages with more than 100k followers.
Larger Facebook pages tend to post regular content, and this is a good lesson for smaller businesses – consistency is key to building a loyal following.
87. Facebook Reels accounted for 3.3% of Facebook ad impressions in 2022.
The Reels format is rapidly growing in popularity, but you still have a vital opportunity to capitalise on this ad type before your competitors.
Facebook Stories Statistics
88. 50% of consumers are open to discovering new products through Facebook Stories.
Facebook Stories are a fantastic format for product promotion, allowing you to deliver bite-sized creative assets that are super engaging.
89. More than 1bn people use the Stories format across the Facebook network.
The Stories format has become one of the most popular placements on the Facebook network, so be sure to incorporate this ad type into your video campaigns.
90. Facebook Stories have the potential to reach 1.25bn users.
Facebook Stories aren’t just ideal for highly engaging creative executions. They also have the potential to reach a massive audience, helping you to drive optimal ad performance.
91. Facebook Stories have around 500m daily viewers.
Looking to reach a sizable audience through high-impact video placements? Facebook Stories is the format for you.
Facebook Messenger Stats
92. 75% of marketers use Facebook Messenger to interact with their audience.
If you’re not currently leveraging Facebook Messenger, you’re missing out on a huge opportunity to engage your target audience and establish your brand voice.
93. Facebook Messenger surpassed 3.2bn mobile users at the end of 2022.
The Facebook Messenger audience is constantly expanding, which provides businesses with an unparalleled platform for direct customer communication.
94. 260m new conversations are launched on Messenger every day.
Businesses on Facebook utilise Messenger for a number of different reasons, from providing customer support to offering product recommendations.
95. Facebook Messenger is the third most popular messaging platform in the world, after WhatsApp and WeChat.
The scale of the Facebook Messenger app is huge, enabling brands to access an enormous platform audience with direct, personalised messages.
96. As of 2022, Facebook Messenger had 300k+ active chatbots responsible for the exchange of over 20bn messages.
Chatbots can help you to supercharge the efficiency of your Messenger activity, automating responses to answer customer queries and resolve issues.
Facebook Marketplace Stats
97. Marketplace ads are among the most popular non-feed ad placements on Facebook.
Marketplace advertising can help Facebook businesses to promote new products and drive cost-effective sales.
98. There are 1bn active monthly users on the Facebook Marketplace.
If you’re an e-commerce brand, Facebook Marketplace provides you with a ready-made audience of potential customers and curious shoppers.
99. Facebook Marketplace ads have the potential to reach 562m users.
Facebook Marketplace advertising can help you to reach a vast audience of new customers, as well as offering you a platform that’s designed for product promotion.
100. Businesses selling products on the Marketplace can generate 66% more orders than those just using a website.
The Facebook Marketplace is a dream platform for e-commerce Facebook advertising, so be sure to use it wisely. With the right strategy, you can achieve a huge increase in orders.
101. The Facebook Marketplace delivers an average conversion rate of 9%.
The Facebook Marketplace is built for product promotion and e-commerce sales, meaning brands can maintain an impressive conversion rate on the platform.
Phew. There you have it – 101 vital Facebook marketing statistics, as promised.
Hopefully you’re ready for the surprise memory test.
While you don’t need to remember all of these Facebook statistics, it’s always a good idea to stay in the loop with the latest Facebook updates. The social media marketing landscape is constantly shifting, and the more you know about the platforms you’re advertising on, the more you’ll be able to capitalise on new opportunities.
For help from an expert Facebook marketing agency please get in touch.